4 Ways That A Lawyer Can Help After Self-Defense Against A Minor

Posted on: 9 June 2016

Were you forced to defend yourself after one of your high school students physically assaulted you in class? If his or her parents are now trying to sue you for assaulting a minor, it is in your best interest to seek help from a lawyer so you can build a strong defense. Take a look at this article to find out how a criminal lawyer might go about helping you win the case against your high school student.

1. Gain a Good Understanding of the Situation

You can help your lawyer build your defense by being honest about any questions that are asked during the first consultation about the incident. He or she will asked questions that are intended to find out if you could possibly be in the wrong. For instance, you might be asked if you said anything upsetting to your student before he or she attacked you, such as called him or her a bad name. You will also be asked about your overall relationship with your student as a way to help your lawyer figure out why the student acted out in a violent manner.

2. Speak to Other Students

Your lawyer will visit some of your students that witnessed the incident take place to get their view of what happened. The students might also be questioned about the relationship between you and the other party. It is possible that a few of your students will be able to act as witnesses on your behalf in court, as well as staff members of the school that may know about the other party's behavior.

3. Investigate the Other Party

One of the things that your lawyer will do is investigate the mental criminal history of the other party. He or she will find out if the student has been getting treated by a psychiatrist and has to take any drugs for his or her mental health. The student will also be investigated to find out if he or she has a history of attacking other people out anger.

4. File a Countersuit Against the Defendant

If you were left with medical bills from the assault, your lawyer can help you file a countersuit against the student. His or her parents may be held responsible for paying for your medical bills, but it will depend on the specific laws in your state.  Make an appointment to explain your situation to a criminal lawyer as soon as you can.

To learn more, contact a law firm like Novak Lee Atty At Law